Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Excuse Me, Can I Check Your Pockets?

Alot of you have asked to see pictures of Singapore, the house, us, etc. I would LOVE to be able to put some pictures up, but sadly, cannot. The reason? My camera was stolen last week. I'm not one to point fingers, so I won't come right out and say whose fault it was. But you know that guy that I'm married to? It was his fault.

Let me explain... We were at a playground with the little ones and I had asked him to hold the camera for me while I took Alex to the bathroom. In the meantime, Ali decided that she had to go to the bathroom (naturally). Col--I mean that guy that I'm married to, laid the camera on a ledge in the bathroom and forgot to get it before he walked out. To his credit, he did remember almost immediately and turned around, ten steps out the door and went back in, but it was already gone. There were two guys who he had passed on his way out of the bathroom, and he confronted one and actually asked the guy to empty his pockets so he could make sure that he didn't have the camera! (Desperation and panic had set in at this point, obviously.) Well, after a thorough search, Colin determined that Suspect #1 didn't have the camera. And of course, the other guy had already skulked out of the bathroom by then. By the time Colin came back to where I was and (with fear in his heart, I'm sure!) told me what had happened, our thief was long gone. We looked all over for him, but couldn't find him. So, if you happen to see a Chinese guy in a dark blue shirt with a backpack on, stop him! He's got my camera!


Obviously, I could care less about my camera. I mean, yes, I'm mad that someone took it, but it's the pictures that I care about. And of course, my camera was full of three weeks worth of wonderful shots and videos. All of them gone now, belonging to the Chinese guy. I mean, if you're going to steal a camera, at least have enough decency to leave the memory card behind! Geez!


So as of now, the only pictures I have are a handful that I had put on our computer when we first got our air shipment. There weren't many to begin with, and after eliminating those where someone's eyes are closed, I look fat or it's just a bad shot, leaves very few to share. But here are a few that made the cut.

(Click on the pictures to enlarge them)


Walking along the Singapore River. We're on our way to take a bum boat tour.


This is a bum boat. Authentic looking, huh? Wonder if the 16th century bum boats had car tires on them, too?


Waiting for Colin to run to the ATM to get cash. Bum boat operators don't take debit cards. Go figure!



Colin and Alex enjoying the ride. Or perhaps a little intoxicated by the diesel fumes from the engine. Either way, they seem to be enjoying themselves.



The small buildings are part of one of the three Quays - a large commercial area along the river and extending inland with restaurants, nightclubs, etc. The tall buildings are part of the Central Business District.



Cameron just HAD to have a picture of this. Take a look at the name of the snack.



Ali is enjoying her $8 ice cream and a free kiss from Cameron. This is in Holland Village, which is about a 15 minute walk from our house. It's very popular and very busy. So busy, that it's nearly impossible to find a parking spot. In fact, men stand in the parking lot and offer to drive your car around and find a spot for you. Yeah right, I don't think so!


I'm still shopping around for a camera (I wasn't too crazy about the one that I had anyway!) and I will definitely post pictures once I buy one. Check back soon!

More later!



5 comments:

Mom said...

The pictures are great! This is the 1st pix I have seen of Cameron, Alex and Ali. They look wonderful....Made me very sad as I realize how far away they are. But, again, the experience you all are getting is....priceless! Keep up the blog, Jodi. You are a natural and I believe have found your 'niche'. =)

Anonymous said...

OK - there goes that theory that there is no crime in Singapore...After reading the story, I'm thinking they'll be adding "Colin Nuts" to the snack trays, eh? KIDDING, Colin, I love you! :) You guys are awesome, and I'm looking forward to hearing the story on the news about a Chinese man with a blue backpack getting flogged! XO Julie

Ruth said...

The camera thing would only happen to you...and while on the "guy you are married to's" shift. Only in Singapore!?!? Look at it this way, it makes for great blog stories. Can't wait to hear about the camera shopping experience. Maybe the guy that stole it will end up selling it back to you in his little shop since there's no Best Buy and stuff like that. Ha! Catch you later.

ronbon said...

It sounds like you guys are settling in very well. I too am jealous of Cameron and his class trip! WOW! That is just awesome! This is such a wonderful experience for all of you. That's great that Ali is taking ballet lessens! Too bad about your pictures! I agree that has to be the worst thing about having your camera stolen. The pics that you have posted are great and we are anxious to see more and read more about your lives so far from home. We think about you often and have been wondering how you are all doing. This is the greatest thing! I will send you an e-mail soon along with a link, so you can see Mike and Loris' wedding pics. They got married in Key West on the 16th. Love to you all! Aunt Bonnie

joe said...

That's good news !!! I'm happy for you guys. Just keep one thing in mined on your adventure. Home is where the heart is. I know sounds like something your grandma would say right. But it's so true I've lived in California for a log time and Chicago is still home so no matter where you go home can bee far away. What dose being a us hater have to do with having nothing ? In the USA you only need to move as far as Houston to see how many people live just like they do in Singapore. The USA is not the best it may be the best for you and me. But we have all kinds of trouble in this country and things are getting worse so if people like the martins live with people of different thinking it will help bridge the gap in man-kine . Think life has given you many adventures and there will be many more so just sit back and enjoy the ride. Have a safe trip .