Sunday, August 17, 2008

Potty Talk

The Olympics have been going on for a week now and let's hope that the organizers got this kink worked out. I saw this in the newspaper a couple of months ago...

(click to enlarge)

Otherwise, people (and by people, I'm referring to women) will have to use this to go to the bathroom...

(cue the Psycho theme)

This is what we call a "squatty potty". Don't even ask me how to use this thing, because I have no idea. The only useful advice I can give is that I'm pretty sure that it helps to have strong leg muscles. Due to the fact that I'd like to keep my pants dry, I haven't even tried to use a squatty potty. Thankfully, most public restrooms in Singapore have both types of toilets. The only problem is that you don't know which toilet will be waiting for you behind the stall door. Countless times, I have waited in the looooooong women's bathroom line, and when it was finally my turn, walked to the available stall only to see a squatty potty. Arrrgghhh!! I just do a quick about face and go straight back to the line to wait for a real toilet. (And I just know that all of the Chinese women in the bathroom are having a secret giggle at the white girl who can't figure out how to use the toilet.) I'm thinking that they need to offer a class at the American Club to show us the technique involved in using this diabolical contraption.

I don't feel too embarrassed about not knowing how to use one, though, because it seems that the Chinese can't figure out our complicated (?) Western toilets either. Proven here by this poster that I saw in a public restroom -- and by the shoe prints that I see on practically every Western toilet in Singapore...


Quite a public service announcement, huh?

More later!
jodi.

3 comments:

Zac and Christine said...

I was stationed in Japan and know all about those groudn potties! It def takes lots of leg muscles and sometimes i just had to go! LOL so I can totally relate jodi!!

Annette said...

Yep thats not good to have to use a toilet like that. I would end up on my back in the hole. Think of you all often. I lost your blog address and I just got it from your dad. I like sea food but I wouldn't be able to eat fish heads and rice.

Annette said...

The picture i put in here of Ang at her wedding day thats the dress I made her. It had 1000 beads sewed on it with hand made appliques you can't see them in this picture. Her flowers were real. Ethan looked so small there. He was 4 years old than. I sew alot keeps me busy. I just got done making a seat cover for a motorcycle. Chucks old motorcycle he's refurbishing. I like your blog. The videos are real good. I bet it makes your mom and dad miss you more watching those.